WARMER MIXTAPES #1131 | by Simon Torssell Lerin and Bettina Hvidevold Hystad of Lerin/Hystad

SIDE A | by Bettina Hvidevold Hystad

1. The Mars Volta | Goliath
Picking one song from this band is difficult. Their mix of genres and their energy is just perfect. I choose this song because of Cedric's screaming vocals and all the flipped out instrumental parts.

2. Björk | Crystalline
Björk is always pushing the boundaries of Popular Music and this song and the whole Biophilia album is an excellent example of amazing Electronic Music. The scaled down mix of instruments and vocals is so airy, less is more, this always makes me dance.

3. Boredoms | 77 Boa Drum Part.1/Seven
+ 77 Boa Drum Part.2/Sun Loard... One of my all time favorite musicians is Yamantaka Eye. I really love his early projects with Hanatarash, but these drum concerts by the Boredoms are great. This was performed in Brooklyn, New York together with 77 drummers.

4. Popol Vuh | Aguirre I (Aguirre Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
One of my favorite soundtracks, to one of my favorite movies.

5. Fausto Romitelli | An Index Of Metals (Performed by Ictus Ensemble)
I saw this piece performed at the Borealis Contemporary Music Festival 2014 and it made me speechless. It was conducted by Baldur Brönnimannan and performed by the BIT20 Ensemble, but it was the soprano Christina Daletska that fascinated me the most. Her amazing voice and stage presence made this piece very memorable.



6. Fire! Orchestra | Exit! Part One And Two
+ Exit! Part Two... Mats Gustafsson is the best saxophone player in the World and he really made magic in this concert and record.

7. Bo Ningen | Nichijyou (feat. Jehnny Beth)
Best live show EVER. These four Japanese guys have a bright future ahead.

8. Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. | OM Riff From The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. (Part 1)
The band name says it all, Hypnotizing Music. The guitar player Makoto Kawabata is involved in so many interesting projects.

9. Masonna | Part II (from Spectrum Ripper)
A legend within the Japanese Noise Music scene. I was lucky to see him perform in Osaka in 2012, the concert lasted only 1 minute and 40 seconds and I have never been so scared and excited at once.

10. Atsuhiro Ito | Black Pharmacy (feat. The Lefty)
Atsuhiro Ito is a Japanese Visual and Sound Artist. He works mainly with fluorescent lights. He has created his own original musical instrument called the Optron. He also creates extreme optical noise core with his band Optrum.


SIDE B | by Simon Torssell Lerin

1. Fausto Romitelli | An Index Of Metals (Performed by Ictus Ensemble)
I saw this being performed live recently and it was an amazing experience. An incredibly powerful combination of dark haunting dissonance, Opera, Contemporary Classical Music, Noise and Doom.

2. Earth | Land Of Some Other Order
This is from the record Hex; Or Printing In The Infernal Method. I love Earth, especially their more recent albums. Dylan Carlson is one of my favorite guitar players because his riffs are so simple but so haunting and powerful.

3. The Mars Volta | Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus
The Mars Volta are one of my all time favorite bands so to chose a single song is difficult. But to me Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus from their second album Frances The Mute is a great example of the band's amazing combination of Freak Out, Salsa, Progressive Punk-Rock.

4. Björk | Where Is The Line
Björk is one of my favorite singers and I love how she has always pushed the boundaries of Electronic Pop Music. This track is from her album Medúlla and I just love the Sound and Production.

5. The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Castles Made Of Sand
Jimi Hendrix needed to be on this list. Playing along to his Music was how I learned to play guitar. This track is from the album Axis: Bold As Love.


6. John Frusciante | Untitled #2
My absolute favorite guitar player. There is so much emotion, beauty and feelings in John's music. This track is from his debut album Niandra Lades And Usually Just A T-Shirt.

7. Barn Owl | Into The Red Horizon
Amazing Ambient, Drone, Doom. This is the opening track to their beautiful album The Conjurer.

8. Boris with Merzbow | Akuma No Uta
This is from the album Klatter. The whole album is amazing, it sounds like a lost tube-amplified demo of the 1970's with Boris combining their heavy Drone Doom with amazing Krautrock influences and Merzbow filling any remaining space with atmospheric Noise soundscapes.

9. Pierre Boulez | Domaines (Première Partie) (Performed by Ensemble Musique Vivante with Michel Portal; Conductor: Diego Masson)
+ Seconde Partie... I found this record in a second-hand store a few years ago and since then it has been my favorite record to practice Guitar to. It always challenges me and provides me with new ideas.

10. Magma | Mekanïk Kommandöh
Magma is probably my favorite band. I love their vision of combining Opera, Contemporary Classical Music, Wagner, Progressive Rock and Free Jazz and presenting it as a Science Fiction story. This is from their album Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh.