WARMER MIXTAPES #1555 | by Morgan Enos [Other Houses]/(Hollow Sunshine) and Bryant Keith Bayhan [.paperman] of Hheaven

SIDE A | by Bryant Keith Bayhan

1. Devo | Girl U Want
Devo’s The Essentials was the first album I ever sat and listened to on my own. My first time hearing it, I played it on repeat all the way on a six hour car trip to my grandmother’s house in the desert and back again.

2. Sparklehorse | Painbirds
This beautiful song is distinctly Americana and sets the bar for what we should expect from our contemporary singer songwriters.

3. Pet Shop Boys | Being Boring
The most dreamy, honest, and sweet Pet Shop Boys single. The song demonstrates a level of Intimacy which not many bands with their history of Top 40 hits can match.

4. Prefab Sprout | The King Of Rock ‘N’ Roll
The King Of Rock ‘N’ Roll perfectly sums up the greatest songwriter of his generation’s views on Rock Music History. The song is also accompanied by perhaps the most obtuse Music video ever made.

5. Astrobrite | Please
Astrobrite’s album pinkshinyultrablast is the perfection of Shoegaze and Please strips all of the guitars away until there are just voices and the percussive thump of a thumb tapping a microphone.



6. Depeche Mode | Policy Of Truth
I can’t claim any other band has had a bigger impact on my Music than Depeche Mode and this is the first song of theirs my older sister played for me when I started to take an interest in Darkwave and Synthesizer lead Music in High School.

7. Cocteau Twins | Sugar Hiccup
If I could only pick one band to listen to forever, it would be Cocteau Twins. I like this song so much I made it my morning alarm for a few months when I was in my early teens… Which was a mistake, never use your favorite songs as alarms.

8. Arab Strap | Packs Of Three
I showed this album to my High School girlfriend one night because I thought it was beautiful, poignant and expressed heartbreak in a way that I was never able to understand; the next day, she told me over the phone that she had been cheating on me for months with one of my best friends. I listened to the album again that day with new sympathy.

9. New Order | Regret
I’ve listened much more to New Order than their previous band, Joy Division, and this song in particular is what got me into writing Dance Music.

10. Prince And The Revolution | Kiss
I spent last summer switching between listening to Prince and Brian Eno, and trying to combine the two has lead my songwriting ever since.


SIDE B | by Morgan Enos

1. Robert Wyatt | Sea Song 
Some of my favorite lyrics with a beautiful, unconventional melody. Yet, Wyatt takes it further and chooses to deadlock it into this pensive, almost nauseous groove for minutes at a time. The perspective is somewhere in the ballpark of Caroline, No, but cuts in a different way, with this gorgeous oceanic metaphor of undersea creatures that change, disappear, remain ungraspable. When you’re drunk, you’re terrific. A perfect song that moves me.

2. Freedy Johnston | Tearing Down This Place
I think a mark of Intelligence in a person is an ability to say I don’t know, instead of making up some bullshit. Because it can suck it up and plead Ignorance, Can You Fly is one of my favorite records. It’s realistic, and its characters are as befuddled and stumbling as we all are in real life. This song is about the hollowness of building an entire life, only to have to dismantle it and start over. I saw Freedy Johnston play at a bar in town, and it was weird. He covered Bennie And The Jets.

3. Dory Previn | Yada Yada La Scala
Previn is a hoot throughout her Mythical Kings And Iguanas LP, but this is the most irresistible cut to me - a razzing juke-joint ode to couples who talk, talk, talk, stressing and pontificating, laying down exaggerated stakes. I swear it’s relationship advice on par with Dr. Ruth Westheimer, and even crosses the finish line with a wink she’d be proud of - Talk to me in bed, where it matters.



4. Richard & Linda Thompson | Night Comes In
The songbook of Richard Thompson can be biting and hilarious, but we’re in a solemn, potent zone on Night Comes In. The lyrics are supposed to describe Thompson's initiation into the Sufi faith, but his lithe and lugubrious playing is what really tells the story.

5. Jon Brion | I Believe She’s Lying
I’ve never met Jon Brion, but I hear he’s like a wizard, with a childlike energy & enthusiasm. The drum programming in I Believe She’s Lying alone is a product of rarefied imagination.

6. Royal Trux | Stevie (For Steven S.)
I have no idea how or why this song is about Steven Seagal, but I love how a band that was once so Avant-Garde and ugly could have so much melody in them. This song could be on Steely Dan's Aja, and the dreamy coda takes me away.

7. Bill Fay | The Freedom To Read
I feel like an ungrateful little kid when I listen to Bill Fay’s Who Is The Sender?, which is like the earthbound counterpart of Alice Coltrane's ethereal Turiya Sings from a spiritual standpoint. This song is about William Tyndale, a historical figure of clear importance to Fay. He sings from a place of deep respect, and his sense of Humility and Debt for Tyndale’s efforts to bring the Bible to the layman is remarkable.



8. Drive-By Truckers | A Ghost To Most
Mike Cooley’s been cagey about the meaning of this song — his explanations have ranged from Hurricane Katrina to Halloween decorations to the struggles of finding a suit that fits him right, but this song is about Mortality, Identity and Human Leadership in a way that piques my Existential Curiosity. Amazing.

9. Alice Coltrane | Jai Ramachandra
The Dignity, Grace, and Yearning of Turiya Sings is second-to-none, and I have no idea how Coltrane made it, beyond the fact it was recorded in an ashram. When we die, we’ll all end up in a starry, Cosmic Womb of Deep Violet.

10. Sparks | The Number One Song In Heaven
Nothing beats the phenomenal arrogance of this meta-contextual joke. If this is the number one song in Heaven, why are you hearing it now? Because, really, Heaven is here on Earth. And The Music sounds so blissful, and deeply exciting. We might have the #1 song in Morro Bay, if we’re lucky. They’ve got us beat, man.