WARMER MIXTAPES #1411 | by Zach Van Hoozer [Zulu Pearls]

1. The Cleftones | Heart And Soul (Larry Clinton & His Orchestra Cover)
This song in particular stood out to me when I was a teenager and picked up some cheap no name Doo Wop compilation. I love the vocal performance and it has a good mix of rocking a bit and being smooth. The melodies of Doo Wop always hit a nostalgic/romantic spot for me and I think a lot of my favorite melodies come from that era and have informed the things I'm looking for when I write songs.

2. The Clash | Straight To Hell
I'll never forget when I first heard London Calling in my friend's basement when we were 12 or 13. They'll always be counted in my top bands of all time. We even started a Clash cover band and could play almost 2/3s of the entire discography. I chose this song, because when I first discovered it, it was a part of the Clash On Broadway boxset and I used to read through the pamphlet that came with it all the time. I would just listen to the whole thing over and over as a kid and get wrapped up in all the little anecdotes they had in there. I chose this song because I remember them describing Topper Headon messing around beating the bass drum before anyone came into the studio and it sort of evolved from there. Aside for standing for something (which is rare these days) the ability of the Clash to deftly cover so many genres in such a short time will always be something I'm striving after.

3. Lou Reed | Charley's Girl
A lot of people seem to not like Coney Island Baby. I don't get that. It's one of my favorite Lou Reed records and one of my favorite Lou songs. The super Poppy songs with his distinct brand of subversive story telling is another huge influence. Lou is the Godfather of almost every band I've ever liked. I don't think it's really possible to overstate his influence.

4. Cam'ron | Killa Cam
When Cam'ron dropped Purple Haze that pretty much solidified him as one of my all time favorites. Killa Cam is my go to track off that record. He really paved his own lane and created his own world on that record and that's a mark of a genius in my opinion.

5. Marvin Gaye | I Want You (Vocal)
Doesn't need much explaining. I always put on the I Want You album when I'm in doubt as to what to throw on at a party. Extremely smooth groove. I fell even more in love with this stuff after I saw this clip of him laid out on a couch rehearsing this song.

6. Roy Orbison | Blue Angel
Roy Orbison's voice. That's an emotional state in itself I suppose. Not unlike the Doo Wop stuff it hits me where it counts and I can't not sing a long to it.

7. Mariah Carey | Breakdown (feat. Bone Thugs-N-Harmony)
I love Mariah. Probably because she was all over the place as I was growing up. She has so many feel good hits, she is undeniable. This one is a slow burner with Bone Thugs which makes it unique to the catalog. It chills me out, what can I say?

8. Sam Cooke | Get Yourself Another Fool
My friend got me turned on to this Night Beat record and it is the ultimate in soulful relaxation. I'm big on the bittersweet vibes from one of the World's all time greatest vocalists.

9. Carly Simon | Why (Extended Version) (Soup For One Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
I think this is far and wide one of Nile Rodger's best productions and one of the coolest things Carly Simon ever did. I could dance around listening to the long edit for an eternity.

10. Dwight Twilley Band | Looking For The Magic
I stumbled across Dwight Twilley on the Internet and knew I was gonna love him forever. This track is such a hit and I enjoy it's rough around the edges vibes. Phil Seymour is all over this thing and I wouldn't have run into his stuff if it wasn't for this track. So I owe a lot to Twilley. There's a video of this song with Tom Petty playing bass. It's great.