WARMER MIXTAPES #1142 | by Erik Engblom of Zeit

1. Elliott Smith | Say Yes 
It is no exaggeration to say that this song got me interested in Music. The first time I heard it I was 14 years old. It is the perfect Love song, it has what Lorca called duende, which means, to quote Nick Cave: That mysterious power, that everyone feels but no philosopher can explain. One can say that Elliott Smith was my teacher for a very long time.

2. The Cure | Plainsong 
This song can be described with one word, and that word is: romantic. I never get tired of this song, it has this perfect contrast between darkness and beauty. I usually don't use the word sublime, but for this song I am willing to make an exception. This song is (for me) not only an expression of grief, it's more like Life itself is about to get buried.

3. The Velvet Underground | There She Goes Again
Lou Reed was at this time (1967), alongside with Dylan, probably the coolest person alive. I find his indifferent attitude to Life very attractive. Now, then, and forever.

4. The Smiths | This Charming Man
I have a very clear memory of my first contact with The Smiths, it was trough a girl I kind of looked up to when I was about 15 years old that recommended The Smiths to me. So I went down to the local record store and bought The Smiths' first record, the clerk was pleased and surprised, he said something like: People in your age often have a shitty taste in Music, but maybe there is some hope after all.

5. The Jesus And Mary Chain | Something's Wrong
I must admit that I for a very long time did not see any greatness in this band. But recently I have discovered, and cultivated a taste for their simplicity and genius approach to Pop Music. The form is intact, but totally destroyed. I find that kind of expression very inspiring.



6. My Bloody Valentine | When You Sleep 
What can one say, except that this song (and the whole album) is one of the most delicate production ever made.

7. Slowdive | Alison 
I discovered this old band last year, and this song is really amazing. It's a kind of song that makes life easier, and fills it with new meaning. If somebody asked me to list the best songs of all time, this song would make it to the top ten.

8. Sonic Youth | Teen Age Riot 
This was/and probably still is one of my brother's favorite bands, he's five years older than me, and when I grew up he was my musical role-model, so naturally I choose to walk down the same musical path, and Sonic Youth was for me, as for many other, a catalysis into the right kind of Music. And this song (Teen Age Riot) is probably the best opening track in Modern History of Music.

9. Godspeed You Black Emperor! | Storm
When I was 19 years old I was into various Post-Rock bands, and played in one as well, but my interest in this kind of music has cooled over the years. The genre is now full with cliches, and that's sad, but I still find GYBE! expression genuine and interesting. They have always mastered the Instrumental form, and this song (Storm) is a masterpiece.

10. Joy Division | Atmosphere
Last but not least. This song will always have a special place in my heart, I can't recall when I first heard it, but it feels like this song have been with me my whole life, Ian Curtis have an unique voice, and he portrays the Human Condition like nobody else.