WARMER MIXTAPES #898 | by Boone Richard Williams [Tiny Tiny] of KitKarma

1. Modest Mouse | Teeth Like God’s Shoeshine
I really struggled with this, but now I’m pretty sure there isn’t a better Opening Song to an album than this. Modest Mouse is another band that I could have put a lot of songs on this list, they were a very important band for me early on as far as opening me up to Real, Honest Music. I love this song, and any time I hear it I immediately want to listen to the entire album that follows. Lyrically, it’s kind of scary how identifiable some of Isaac Brock’s Themes are, throughout their entire catalogue, and this song is no different. If you’ve never heard it before, you should go listen to it.

2. Built To Spill | Distopian Dream Girl
This song is so catchy it’s a real commitment to listen to it, because it will most definitely be stuck in your head for a day or two. I really love this band, they have a sense of Fun in their Music that is really their own. That’s not to say that they are One Dimensional or anything though, they can do it all. I probably could have put any Built To Spill song on this list, but this was the one that came to mind though. Doug Martsch is definitely one of my favorite Songwriters.

3. Pink Floyd | Us And Them
I’ve had a Love/Hate relationship with Pink Floyd for most of my life. They were my dad’s favorite band growing up, so naturally when I was a kid my first instinct was to hate them before I even knew what they were about. I held out for the longest time, but eventually I caved and came around to them. When it comes to this song specifically I think it’s the fact that the Chorus sounds like the end of the World is near that makes me love it so much. What can I say, it’s a Classic. Reminds me of Childhood.

4. Pelican | Aurora Borealis
I’m sort of Hit Or Miss when it comes to Instrumental Music, sometimes I feel like there is a wall left standing that’s better off being broken down. Don’t get me wrong, there are some insanely talented and insanely good Instrumental Musicians and Bands, I’m just speaking about my Personal Taste. That being said, this song is perfect, and Vocals would only get in the way. It’s actually kind of sparse when you listen to it, and a lot more tame than some of Pelican’s other Music, but it’s powerful. It goes straight to the head.

5. Deek Hoi | California
This is another song and recording that is completely perfect to me. Sounds like a Moment. I don’t know a whole lot about Deek Hoi, but I can tell you from the first time that I heard this song and pretty much the entire album The Golden Country I was hooked. It’s definitely a good Travel song.

6. The Raincoats | In Love
Everything about this Recording is perfect. It’s the kind of song that when you listen to it, you sense that it could only happen once. It almost sounds like an accident, but it is perfect.

7. Warpaint | Beetles
Warpaint’s An Exquisite Corpse EP was the Soundtrack of pretty much an entire year of my life when it came out. The Lyrics to this song always stay with me. I tend to identify more with Lyrics that shine a light on day to day situations, and being that I’m constantly in a rush; I have the Lyrics to this song in my head pretty regularly. Aside from that, the Guitars on this song are excellent.

8. Animal Collective | Grass
Very few songs nor bands can latch onto my emotions like this song and Animal Collective can. The thing I’ve always loved about Animal Collective is that their Music hits you all at once, like a wave of Feeling. Grass sounds to me like what a green ball of Nostalgia might Sound like. Very strong memories tied to this song.

9. Mr. Gnome | Vampires
There is something warped and beautiful about all of Mr. Gnome’s Music. This song to me is the best representation of this strange band. I only found out about Mr. Gnome a while back, but it is safe to say that I’m pretty obsessed with this band. I dare anyone to listen to this song and be able to walk around without saying I guess I’ll eat ya’ later… upwards of a hundred times a day.

10. Interpol | Obstacle 1
Interpol is one of those bands that if I listen to one song, I’ll end up listening to them for days on end, and this song is usually the one I play first. Like a lot of Interpol songs, it’s hard not to move a little bit when it comes on. Some days I would put Interpol’s first 2 albums up against pretty much anything.