WARMER MIXTAPES #859 | by Gerard Roberts [kidkanevil] of Stateless and Kidsuke

Photo by Dan Medhurst

1. Arvo Pärt | Spiegel Im Spiegel (Performed by Vladimir Spivakov and Sergej Bezrodny)
Perfect. This piece of Music might just be the Human Race’s greatest contribution to the Universe. I actually met Arvo Pärt once and I couldn’t speak, I just bowed. He smiled and I nearly cried.

2. Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto with Ensemble Modern | Attack/Transition
Just an incredible Sonic experience. I must have listened to this track hundreds of times. Everything about it is so beautifully judged.

3. World Famous | Robby’s Song
This is the song from the opening of the J Horror classic Tomie. I don’t know much about it other than that, and that it’s totally creepy, weird and wonderful. I had a period of watching loads of Japanese ghost films and totally freaked myself out. When this song came on I was like what the fuck is that and must have re-watched the opening credits for hours.

4. Cuushe | I Miss You
One of my favourite songs from one of my favourite artists on one of my favourite labels. It’s like waking up from the most profound dream you’ve ever had and crying with joy. I’m currently addicted to this song. Myself and Daisuke Tanabe did our first remix as Kidsuke for her, which was an honour.

5. The Pro Letarians | Dream Catcher (with Sufjan Stevens)
I’m a Sufjan stan. I often listen to his music on the nightbus home after DJing, it keeps me calm and full of wonder despite the dubious delights of late night London transport. His live show might be the best I’ve ever seen too. I could’ve chosen almost any Sufjan song, this one is actually a remix from his Chopped & Scrooged Christmas Rap mixtape. It’s just incredible dope, and super cool hearing a Hip-Hop spin on Sufjan’s work.

6. Slum Village | 2U4U
Had to have a Dilla beat on the list. The Fantastic, Vol. 2 version of this is a personal favourite. It’s ridiculously dope, especially when you clock the sample, unreal. I rarely use the word genius, but in Dilla’s case I say it without hesitation.

7. Missy Elliot | Get Ur Freak On
Might be the greatest beat ever made. Really, it sounds like nothing before or after it. Think about that. Changed my whole perception of what a Hip-Hop beat could be and set me free from that whole backpacker Rap purist/crate digger mentality. When he’s on form nobody can touch Timbo, still.

8. Joe Hisaishi | Kaze No Toorimichi (My Neighbor Totoro Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
It’s hard picking an Anime score, I love so many of them, but this is a special one of course. I like the original slightly weird synth version. Hisaishi’s melodies are too amazing.

9. Dimlite | Abscission
The way this piece develops and takes shape is quite amazing. When the chime melody comes in, lord. They should study Dimlite at universities, if they don’t already. I did a gig with him once and found out he was a massive Chris Morris fan, which makes sense.

10. Claude Debussy | Pour Le Piano: 2. Sarabande (Played by Claudio Arrau)
This suite does very strange things to my soul that I don’t fully understand, in particular the second movement Sarabande. I’m obsessed with the melody that creeps in and out over the course of the piece. Just insanely amazing. Of course.