WARMER MIXTAPES #689 | by Kate Havnevik

1. Beck | Nobody's Fault But My Own
I love the laid back sitar'y vibe and the Open Sound, the song has lots of Space in it. The lyrics are really good and speak to me; Who would ever be so cruel, blame the Devil for the things you do, it's such a selfish way to lose, the way you lose these wasted blues...

2. Cocteau Twins | Alice
This is just one of the most Beautiful songs I know of. Liz Fraser's voice is Like From Another World of Beauty, Dreams and Wonder... I love the way she sings the name Alice over and over again, the melodies are Unusual and build on each other and it's an Absolute Blessing to listen to...

3. PJ Harvey | A Perfect Day Elise
And To Talk To You... Two different sides of PJ Harvey, I have so many favourite songs of hers and picked these two. A Perfect Day Elise is so Powerful and the guitars and bass kind of Fly Above Ground... It's the very Cool PJ Harvey in charge... To Talk To You is so Beautiful, Vulnerable and Haunting, it actually reminds me of how much I miss my own grandmother, and how I miss talking to her... So it touches me Deeply... Oh, grandmother... 
How I miss you... Under the Earth, wish I was with you, to talk to you... I found somebody,
 tried to give myself to... Many times, I wanted to talk to you...

4. Radiohead | Exit Music (For A Film)
It's hard to pick one favourite Radiohead song as there are so many, but it's one of my favourite bands, so I wanted to include a song by them. I love the Journey and the Dynamics in this song, starting very Quiet to begin with and grows into a Big Arrangement and a Sea of Guitars.... With Thom belting out the song.... The Synth Choir has a Weird Sound and it adds to a Twisted Atmosphere... After the Big Build Up the song goes Quiet again and ends with the words We hope that you choke, that you choke...

5. OutKast | Hey Ya!
This is just a Really Fun and Kind of Silly song that makes me Smile!!! It is so Well Made and Spot On! The video and the lyrics and all just gives me lots of Energy, and the Beat makes me wanna Dance, Truly a Happy song for me... Love the Positive, Flirty Vibe, and the Naivety of it all... Shake it like a Polaroid picture...



6. Nina Simone | Lilac Wine (Hope Foye Cover)
And also Jeff Buckley's version... This song is Amazing and I Love both of these artists' versions of it. It was written by James Shelton in 1950, and the song just never gets old. The lyrics are Colorful and paints a Magical Melancholic Atmosphere... A lot of Passion and Sadness, Hope and Longing... A Very Beautiful Song indeed and I think both these artists totally makes Justice of the song as they pour their hearts into it. I made wine from a Lilac tree, put my heart in the recipe... It makes me see what I want to see and be what I want to be...

7. Asobi Seksu | Thursday
This song has a lot of Drive and Energy and her Very High Pitched Voice Float Gently on Top...I just Love how the Chorus Lifts up and Flies... I never really thought much about what the lyrics mean, but when I have a closer look the lyrics thankfully has the same Melancholia and Bitter-Sweet Feel as the Music... You have to play this song Loud in your car...

8. Dungen | Du E För Fin För Mig
This song is in Swedish and it opens with a Folk Melody on Violin, they are really good musicians and even though they have a bit of a Rough, Old Sound, it's really, really Tight! The story is about Someone in Love, someone who is not sure if they have a chance and he is Unsure if he can call her his girlfriend at all... He is hoping it will work out... I love the Looser-Hero aspect and the Chorus Melody is so great... It has quite a bit of a Weird Rock Jam in the end too, quite Loose and FunRocking Out! You are too good for me, but I want you still, I don't really fit in, but I want to know how...

9. Muse | Starlight
What a beautiful Uplifting Piano riff! I just Love this Bassline too, Quite Simple but Spot On... I like the Power in Muse's Music, they just go for it and it's usually Full On... Never Boring, Always Energetic... I just wanted to hold you in my arms. Our hopes and expectations... Black holes and revelations...

10. Patrick Watson | The Great Escape
The Piano Intro and part in general is great and his voice is Beautiful.... It's a Sad song about Getting Away from the Bad Times and the Things that Bother you, we all Dream of Escaping sometimes... Bad day, looking for a way home, looking for the great escape.
 Gets in his car and drives away, 
far from all the things that we are.

+11. Leonard Cohen | Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Cohen he is a Great Storyteller and this Poetic Love Song with Beautiful and Sad Lyrics... A very Simple Recording with just Acoustic Guitar and very Unusual Female backing vocals. The song has a Warm Old Nostalgic Sound...”I loved you in the morning, our kisses deep and warm, your hair upon the pillow like a sleepy golden storm”...

+12. Prince And The Revolution | Raspberry Beret
Prince is definitely one of the Best Songwriters in the World! Saw him live in Oslo and he blew my socks off! He played this song, amongst others, and it just made everyone get up and Dance and Sing... It's a Simple song, with a Catchy Groove and a Really Cute Love Story. I Love the details in the lyric and Melody is So Strong and Simple, everyone can sing along... It's just Good, Solid, High Quality Pop. His Musical Skills has no End to it... Where have all the raspberry women gone?

+13. Tori Amos | Hey Jupiter
There are a few versions of this song, and I tend to like the one from the album Boys For Pele the most, it's just a Well Written Song, Simple Arrangement, Great Melodies and Lyrics, it really grabs your Attention and pulls you in, there is a sense of Vulnerability and Curiosity ... Hey, Jupiter... Nothing's been the same, so are you gay? Are you blue? Thought we both could use a friend to run to... And I thought you'd see with me, you wouldn't have to be something new.

+14. The Cure | Friday I'm In Love
A Fantastically Well-Written Song, using all the days of the week and ending with 'Friday I'm in Love', it's so Catchy and Sweet and takes me back to my Schooldays when we were really just looking forward to the Weekend to go out Partying and meeting boys... Blush... It's such a gorgeous sight... To see you eat in the middle of the night... You can never get enough... Enough of this stuff... It's Friday... I'm in Love!