WARMER MIXTAPES #518 | by Grant Cassell and Matthew Mazankowski of Behind Sapphire

Photos by Julian Fok.

SIDE A | by Matthew Mazankowski

1. Kyle Henderson | Nearer, My God, To Thee
I love old hymns. This one is a newer rendition of an old hymn, we get to play this song at shows often, and it's the best feeling.

2. The Beatles | Let It Be
I love this song because as a kid my dad would sing me to sleep singing it.

3. Annuals | Brother
This song is by one of my favourite bands of all time, they have a very unique sound and I love the energy.

4. Sigur Rós | Ára Bátur
I absolutely love this song, especially the ending. It captures so many different emotions and is incredibly moving.

5. Yann Tiersen | Le Méridien
I love Yann. He's brilliant. His soundtracks are amazing and I listen to them daily. This song is one of my favourites of his. It reminds me of Paris, which I love, and it talks about the English Channel tunnel and I remember going through it on a train a few years back.



6. Sufjan Stevens | Sister Winter
Christmas songs are my favourite, especially when artists write original ones. I'm particularly fond of this one.

7. The Envy Corps | Wires & Wool
A very sweet band, who put out a sweet album called Dwell. I love 99% of the songs on this album, so choosing one was tough, but the energy and intricacy of this song is sweet. I also love the vocals in it.

8. Arcade Fire | My Body Is A Cage
The organ in this song is amazing. I love the epicness of it.

9. Fleet Foxes | Your Protector
This band is incredible. Their harmonies are unreal. I really like this song because it reminds me of being an older brother or a husband or a father.

10. Paolo Nutini | High Hopes
This song reminds me of Robin Hood or some other Disney movie, I really like that. I also love his voice.

+11. Emiliana Torrini | Big Jumps
I love the lightheartedness about this song. It's such a delight to listen to.


SIDE B | by Grant Cassell

1. Billie Holiday | Strange Fruit
This song inspired the first creation of Behind Sapphire when I was 15 years old.

2. St. Vincent | Landmines
Genious songwriter, this song moves through a couple of moods or feelings.

3. Sufjan Stevens | Impossible Soul
25 min long 4 part song, it keeps me (wide) awake while on the road.

4. Patrick Watson | Drifters
The first time I heard this song, I played it over 30 times, I became heavily influenced by Patrick Watson from then on...

5. Koop | Koop Island Blues
Somehow I attatched myself to this song. I do love it.



6. Madeleine Peyroux | This Is Heaven To Me
This song make me motionless.

7. Yann Tiersen | Le Méridien
The key change in the chorus of this song opened my chest and cradled my heart.

8. The Beatles | Fool On The Hill
The lyrics to this song have become the soundtrack to different experiences from my life.

9. Ennio Morricone | The Legend Of 1900: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Ennio Morricone know each one of us somehow...

10. Jeff Buckley | I Want Someone Badly
Jeff Buckley was obviously far ahead of his time, but this song is one of his most straight forward compositions.